IS A GAMBLING PROBLEM AFFECTING YOUR LIFE?
Welcome to the official website of the Gam-Anon® International Service Office, Inc., serving the community of international meetings of the Gam-Anon Family Groups. Gam-Anon has created this website to provide information for the general public and professional community about problem ( compulsive ) gambling.
Did You Grow Up With a Compulsive Gambler?
Perhaps you have difficulty deciding if you were affected by compulsive gambling during childhood. The following questions may help you to determine whether compulsive gambling affected your childhood and may still be affecting your present life.
1. Do you obsess about money?
2. Did family activities revolve around gambling events? (sports, cards, lottery, racetracks, etc.)
3. Have you ever been missing money?
4. Have you ever paid or been asked to pay a parent's debts?
5. Do your parents often argue about money?
6. Were you forced to form an alliance with one parent against another?
7. Did you parents use you as a sounding board for their marriage?
8. Are you afraid to be alone with the gambling parent?
9. Do you feel anxious when the phone rings, mail comes or doorbell rings?
10. Do you feel responsible for the unhappiness in your home?
11. Do you confuse pity with love?
12. Have you had problems with your own compulsive behavior?
13. Do you feel more like the parent than the child?
14. Are you unable to remember all or parts of your childhood?
15. Do you care for others easily, but find it difficult to care for yourself?
16. Do you find it difficult to identify and express your feelings?
17. Do you have trouble with intimate relationships?
18. Do you lie when it would be just as easy to tell the truth?
19. Do you feel more alive in the midst of a crisis?
20. Do you think more money would solve your problems?
If you answered yes to some or all of these questions, Gam-Anon may be for you. We would like you to feel that we understand as perhaps few can.
Gam-Anon International Service Office, Inc. P.O. Box 157 Whitestone, NY 11357 718-352-1671 718-746-2571 gam-anon.org